In our days a website is essential for any business, it doesn’t matter if you are working with other businesses or directly with the individual.
The way i pitch it to my clients its something like this:
You should look at your business website like a business card. If you have a mediocre, basic design the client most likely will trow it away but if your design is unique, different you may have a new potential deal.
Thats why a good design is essential in order to promote your business in the online space and make the experience nice and fluid for the customer. The last thing you want is a cottered front page, with random elements, aton of random images and text.
As a sidenote, in this article will focus on your main landing page witch is your website homepage. Your secondary pages should respect your design guidelines from the main page (colors, spacing, overall functionality).
Also try to stay away from building websites from pure HTML/CSS (from the ground up). Instead focus on building a theme for a well known platform like WordPress or Prestashop.
WordPress theme coding details here
Prestashop theme coding details here
Managing a site that is made without a CMS behind is a nightmare, lets not mention the security vulnerabilities that it may have, plus its not 2005 anymore.
If you are a beginner in this field try using a page builder module on an existing well known theme.
So how can you make a good website design?
Get down to the basics
- Try not to place random elements or repetitive ones
- Stick to the basic information that you want to reflect and for more details place a link to another page where you can elaborate
- Try to stay away from complex animations and complex JS/CSS elements
- Minimalism is key and modern also (take a look here or here)
The colors are super important
- Use a pleasant main color that is preferably in your logo and one or two complementary secondary colors (insipiration here )
- Try to use popping colors, with a nice contract on Call to Action buttons and on the menus
- Its best to set the background white
Take note of Google’s Fundamentals in building a webpage
- More details you can find here
Don’t be shy to look for some inspiration
- Check some of the competitors websites
- Use Google or platforms like Themeforest
Build your website on top of a CMS
- Use WordPress as a base for your blog, business website or even online shop. In this way you have easy to use interface and also some of the themes available for the platform have clean, functional templates that you can modify easily to feet your needs
- Use Prestashop if you have a mediul/large online store and because its a well known platform there are a lot of themes that you can adapt to your needs
- Using o popular CMS you can have the privilege of using page builders la Elementor or King Composer. They have a nice drag and drop interface that will air your progress in making a good website design
Practice, practice and practice
- Start working on some local websites (more information here)
- Take small projects and start building your know-how
Hire an expert
If you are still not sure how to make a good website design give us a message and we can help you.
ADcelerum Digital Agency is advertising company based in Romania with more then 5 years experience in building complete digital solutions.